- Looks like negotiations over the federal budget are going down to the wire. If the federal government shuts down tonight at midnight, a number of DC government services will be affected, including trash collection (for one week), DMV and permitting services. Police, Fire & EMS, DC Public and Charter Schools and a limited number of health and human services functions will be unaffected by the shutdown. Please take a few moments to review the shutdown plan posted on the DC government website.
- Regardless of whether there is a shutdown or not, ANC 6B will hold its April commission meeting next Tues., April 12, 7:00 pm at the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, 522 7th Street SE. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend Tuesday’s meeting due to a work conference scheduled more than a year ago. My colleague, Commissioner Jared Critchfield (6B07), has graciously offered to send me the highlights so I can still provide a meeting recap. Barring the unexpected, this should be the only ANC meeting I miss this year.
- Next Thursday, April 14, Congressional Cemetery, in partnership with The Faith & Politics Institute, will be hosting a Civil Rights Heroes Tour beginning at 7:00 pm at the Cemetery Chapel. The evening will honor abolitionists, suffragists, Native American delegates, and gay rights activists who have fought for social justice over the past 200 years. Food and wine will be provided. You can register for the event on the Congressional Cemetery website.
- Stay tuned on ANC 6B’s Hill East Task Force. We hope to hold an organizing meeting for the task force sometime in the next month or so. Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in serving and/or being involved on the task force. If you are interested in the Hill East Task Force or serving as a resident member of any other ANC 6B committee or task force (planning & zoning, alcoholic beverage (ABC), transportation, outreach and constituency services), please let me know.
- Finally, join us for our weekly neighborhood walk this Sunday, April 10, 6:00 pm in front of Harris Teeter (1350 Potomac Ave. SE).
Have a great weekend!