Here are three things you can do to weigh in on keeping Hill East united with Capitol Hill in Ward 6 (and I hope you can do all three):
1) Sign and circulate petitions – My Hill East colleagues and I on ANC 6B are circulating petitions opposing moving any portion of Hill East, including the Hill East Waterfront (Res. 13), to another ward. I’ll be walking around the neighborhood this weekend and working the Potomac Avenue and Stadium-Armory Metro stations over the next few days. If you are interested in helping circulate petitions on your block, please send me an e-mail (BrianF6b09@anc6b.org).
2) Share your views with the Redistricting Subcommittee – Send an e-mail or call all three subcommittee members.
- Councilmember Michael Brown (I-At Large), email@example.com, 202-724-8105
- Councilmember Jack Evans (D-Ward 2), firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-724-8058
- Councilmember Phil Mendelson (D-At Large), email@example.com, 202-724-8064
3) Attend Next Thursday’s Redistricting Forum – The Ward 6 Democrats are sponsoring a public forum on redistricting next Thursday, May 5, 7-8:30 pm at Friendship Charter School (1345 Potomac Avenue SE, across from Harris Teeter). All three of the subcommittee members and Councilmember Tommy Wells have been invited. We would like to see a big turnout for this event.
Note that the time line is moving quickly – the subcommittee must produce a new ward map by the end of May/early June and the Council must approve the new ward boundaries by July.
Please make your voice heard!
[…] So, what’s a Washingtonian to do? Commissioner Brian Flahaven (ANC 6B09) spells it out for those on the Hill and beyond on his blog here. […]