Around 50 residents attended last night’s 3+ hour ANC 6B meeting at the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS. We had a pretty packed agenda but managed to get through everything. Here are the highlights:
- The commission finally approved a resolution opposing a moratorium on new liquor licenses for Barracks Row on a 10-0 vote. An amendment that clarified that ANC 6B could reconsider a moratorium if circumstances change helped make the vote unanimous. The commission also approved principles for considering new liquor licenses that will be included in ANC 6B’s project checklists.
- I announced that the first Hill East Task Force meeting will take place Wed., July 27, 7 pm at St. Coletta’s School, 1901 Independence Avenue. I’ll post an agenda for the meeting soon.
- The commission unanimously supported a special exception for a Chipotle restaurant at 413 8th Street SE (fast food restaurants are prohibited by zoning on Barracks Row). ANC 6B’s letter to the Board of Zoning Adjustment will ask that they approve the exception only for Chipotle so that any future fast food restaurants that want to open at that location will also have to ask for a special exception.
- Representatives of the Capitol Hill Animal Alphabet Art Project (CHAAP) asked the commission for a letter endorsing their concept of creating animal sculptures that coincide with the lettered streets on Capitol Hill. CHAAP, which is being sponsored by the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, also hopes to benefit from funds generated by the Performance Parking Pilot Program on Capitol Hill. The commission voted 10-0 to write a letter endorsing the concept and referred the project to the ANC 6B Transportation Committee for further consideration. The Transportation Committee is developing a process for recommending projects for performance parking funds.
- Also on the Performance Parking Pilot, Commissioner Brian Pate (6B05) introduced a motion to ask DDOT to hold quarterly meetings of the Performance Parking Pilot Advisory Group and to release a delayed report on how FY11 funds were used. Commissioner Dave Garrison (6B01), who is ANC 6B’s representative on the group, noted that the group has not met in the last six months. The commission approved the motion 7-3 (I voted in support).
- In response to yesterday’s unprecedented mid-year shuffling of DC Council committee chair assignments by Chairman Kwame Brown , the commission voted 7-2-1 to send a letter to the Chairman expressing our disappointment at his decision to remove Councilmember Tommy Wells as chair of the Committee on Transportation and Public Works (I voted in support).
- The commission voted to support Pitango Gelato’s application to place public benches in front of their new location on the 7th Street SE side of 660 Pennsylvania Ave. SE.
- ANC 6B voted to hold another Special Call Meeting on the Hine Jr. High School Development on Tuesday, July 26, 7pm at a location to be determined. The Historic Preservation Review Board is scheduled to consider portions of the proposed development at its July 28 meeting.
- There will be no ANC 6B meeting in August. The next full commission meeting will be on Tuesday, September 13.