With Hurricane Irene expected to bring significant rainfall and heavy winds to our area, here are some important phone numbers to have close by in case of an emergency:
- DC Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency Hotline – 202-727-6161. DCHSEMA will provide weather updates and shelter information. Make sure you sign up for the DC Alert emergency notification system. You can also follow on Twitter: @DC_HSEMA
- DC Water Emergency Line – 202-612-3400. Call to report storm drain back-ups and other water/sewer issues. I’ve already called to report the storm drain back-up at 17th St. SE and Potomac Ave. SE. Follow on Twitter: @mydcwater.
- Washington Gas – 800-752-7520. Call if you have an emergency involving natural gas or if you smell gas. Also call 911.
- PEPCO Power Outages – 877-737-2662.
- PEPCO Downed Wires – 202-872-3432.
Sandbags: The Department of Public Works is distributing five sandbags per household beginning at noon, Friday, August 26, at its New Jersey Avenue and K Street, SE site. The entrance is at New Jersey Avenue and I Street, SE and staff will be on hand to direct residents to the distribution point. Distribution will continue through midnight Friday, then resume at 8 am, Saturday, August 27, through midnight Saturday. Residents will be asked to show a DC identification. Be prepared to wait in a significantly long line to get sandbags.