- The rescheduled ANC 6B Hill East Task Force meeting is next Wed., Oct. 5, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm at Payne Elementary School (1445 C Street SE). The task force will discuss the status and future of the Eastern Branch Boys & Girls Club Building located at 17th & C Streets SE. Please bring your questions!
- The Ward 6 Redistricting Task Force has sent their final report to Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells. As I mentioned in a previous post, I oppose the task force plan because it moves 1,275 residents on the western side of the current ANC 6B into the primarily Capitol Hill NE focused ANC 6C. The plan also makes significant changes to 6B single member district boundaries, though the SMD where I would reside remains relatively intact. I encourage you to share your thoughts on the plan with Councilmember Wells. You can also participate in an online poll at The Hill is Home.
- Some great news for Hill East. The District Department of Transportation announced earlier this week that a new Circulator bus route is being added to our neighborhood. The route begins at the Potomac Avenue Metro plaza, proceeds to Barracks Row and ends at the Skyland Shopping Center. Start date is Monday, Oct. 3. You can view the full route on the Circulator website. A big thanks to Councilmember Wells who pushed for this additional route during his way too short tenure as transportation committee chair.
- We (me included) often complain when city agencies and services miss the mark. However, we often don’t take time to recognize and thank city agencies and workers when they provide great service. I want to thank the District Department of Transportation for handling two recent issues in our neighborhood. The first relates to Hurricane Irene and DDOT’s quick response when a large branch damaged the front porch and blocked the entrance to a row house. A DDOT crew came and moved the branch during the peak hours of the storm. The second issue involved a car parked on a street scheduled for tree work. The car’s owner was out of the country and some helpful neighbors asked me if there was any way to prevent the car from being ticketed and towed. Working with the Dept. of Public Works, DDOT towed the car out of the work zone and made sure it was not ticketed. Thanks DDOT!
- Finally, make plans to attend the 13th Street Community Park and Garden Yard Sale Fundraiser on Sat., Oct. 8, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm at 13th St. SE and C St. SE. You can support the new park by dropping off items for donation the morning of the Yard Sale (starting at 8:30 am) and/or purchasing items during the sale itself. Organizers are accepting donations of clothing, kitchenware, electronics, home decorations, books, movies, toys, etc. For more information, or to drop off donated items prior to Oct. 8, contact Ksenia Kaladiouk at email@example.com
Have a great weekend!