Unfortunately, I was unable to attend Tuesday’s ANC 6B meeting due to a previous commitment. Here is a brief recap of the key issues/votes:
- The Commission unanimously approved sending a letter to the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) requesting that the 700 and 800 blocks of 17th Street SE be included in the 17th and 19th Streets Safety Improvement Project. Though I was not present at the meeting, my “absentee” vote was counted in the final tally. Commissioner Francis Campbell (6B10) also announced that DDOT would be holding July 30 and July 31 public charrette meetings on 17th and 19th Streets.
- ANC 6B voted unanimously to support Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham’s Omnibus Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Amendment Act of 2012, legislation designed to improve the alcoholic beverage licensing process and its impact on neighborhoods. ANC 6B’s letter of support (pdf) includes some additional suggestions to further strengthen the legislation. Thanks to Commissioner Carol Green (6B07) for participating on a task force that provided recommendations for the legislation.
- A request by Barracks Row Main Street to close a portion of 8th Street SE for the Barracks Row Fall Festival on September 26 received unanimous support from the Commission.
- The Commission voted 8-0 to send a letter to DC Water expressing concerns about damage the agency caused to a pocket park at the intersection of Potomac Avenue SE and M Street SE. DC Water paved over the park to create a staging area for its Clean Rivers Project.
- On another unanimous vote, the Commission supported a second five-year term renewal for the Capitol Hill Business Improvement District.
- In my absence, Commissioners Dave Garrison (6B01) and Jared Critchfield (6B06) announced that ANC 6B will be holding a September 17th Special Call Meeting to consider revisions to the ANC 6B bylaws and proposed standing rules. Documents related to the revised bylaws/standing rules will be posted by the end of the month.
- ANC 6B will not hold a meeting in August. The next full commission meeting will be on Tuesday, September 11, 7 pm at the Hill Center.