On Tuesday, Feb. 12, ANC 6B held its February full commission meeting at the Hill Center. Here is a brief recap:
- Resolutions renewing the Commission’s Transportation Committee, Hill East Task Force, Outreach and Constituent Services Task Force and Zoning Regulations Review Task Force were unanimously approved by the commission. The Transportation Committee will now be a permanent standing committee of the commission while task forces remain subject to annual renewal
- The Commission unanimously elected the following Commissioners to serve as committee/task force chairs:
- Nominations of resident members were also approved by the Commission. I’m particularly grateful to former 6B09 Commissioner Keith Smith and 6B09 resident Darren Cole for agreeing to serve as resident members on the Transportation Committee and Outreach & Constituent Services Task Force, respectively. I plan to seek additional 6B09 resident members to serve on the ABC Committee and Hill East and Outreach & Constituent Services Task Force.
- After a lengthy debate, the Commission voted 6-2-1 to oppose the design of a proposed new rowhouse at 820 C Street SE. Since the case was a historic preservation case (the property is located in the Capitol Hill Historic District), the commission’s opposition was based on the butterfly roof design. I voted with the majority in opposition, mainly due to the owner’s inability to come to an agreeable compromise with adjacent neighbors.
- The Commission voted 8-0-2 to send comments (pdf) to the District Department of the Environment on the Capitol Power Plant’s application for air quality permits. The Commission is concerned about the plant’s continued use of coal and the applicant’s use of peak years of energy production from coal to set a higher limit for emissions than is necessary.
- Commissioner Kirsten Oldenburg (6B04) reminded the audience of the upcoming Feb. 21 District Department of Transportation meeting on the Barney Circle-Southeast Boulvard Transportation Planning Study, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm at Payne Elementary School (1445 C Street SE).
- I announced that the DC Council’s Committee on Human Services is holding a hearing on management and conditions at the DC General shelter on Thursday, Feb. 28, 6:00 pm at 1900 Massachusetts Avenue SE.
- At the request of Commissioner Ivan Frishberg (6B02), the Commission voted unanimously to send a letter (pdf) to the District Department of Transportation requesting the results of Brent Elementary School pedestrian safety study. Commissioners Nichole Opkins (6B06), Chander Jayaraman (6B08) and I plan to ask DDOT to do a similar study for Payne Elementary School in March.
- ANC 6B’s March meeting will be on Tuesday, March 12, 7 pm at the Hill Center.