Due to the Dec. 10 weather-related closure of the DC government, ANC 6B held its rescheduled regular monthly meeting on Dec. 16. The commission had a relatively light agenda. Here are the highlights:
- The commission voted unanimously to send a letter (pdf) to Events DC urging the agency to seek community feedback in its study of future uses for the RFK Stadium site. Events DC, which has been asked by Mayor Gray to study future uses, has posted a Request for Expressions of Interest seeking a consultant to conduct the study. Sending a letter to the agency was recommended by ANC 6B’s Hill East Task Force.
- Responding to a request by the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED), the commission voted 5-0 (with 3 abstentions) to support the ability of Frager’s to continue its temporary garden center on the concrete pad across from Eastern Market.
- The commission voted unanimously to support a resolution (pdf) on the use of “Flexi-Pave” material to repair sidewalks in southeast Capitol Hill. The District Department of Transportation has started using Flexi-Pave material to repair sidewalks frequently damaged by tree roots. A section of the sidewalk on the 300 block of 7th Street SE has already been repaired using Flexi-Pave.
- The commission voted unanimously to support the liquor license renewal for Cava Restaurant (527-529 8th Street SE) and to support striking a provision in Pennsylvania Avenue Market’s (1501 Pennsylvania Ave SE) current settlement agreement that prohibits the sale of two-packs and three-packs of beer. On Penn Ave Market, the commission voted to strike the provision because the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board has ruled a ban on two and three packs is not enforceable.
- The commission voted 7-0 to send a letter (pdf) to DDOT urging the agency to perform a full depth reconstruction of the alley behind the west side of the 500 block of 8th Street SE (Barracks Row). The alley is in extremely poor shape and is frequently used by commercial delivery and garbage trucks.
- Since the Zoning Commission scheduled an additional Zoning Regulations Review hearing (pdf) just for ANCs on Jan. 30, 2014, the commission voted unanimously to allow a commissioner to testify on ANC 6B’s position at the hearing.
- The commission voted unanimously to send a letter to the DC Parks and Recreation Department reaffirming ANC 6B’s support to the Park Partnership for the Kim Brenegar Memorial Garden at 8th Street SE and North Carolina Avenue SE.
- ANC 6B’s January meeting will be on Tues., Jan. 14, 7 pm at the Hill Center, 921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE.