We had a good turnout (30-40 residents) for ANC 6B’s first meeting of 2014. Here are the highlights:
- The meeting began with the election of officers. I was re-elected for a second term as chair. Commissioner Ivan Frishberg (6B02) was re-elected vice-chair, Commissioner Nichole Opkins (6B06) was elected secretary, Commissioner Brian Pate (6B05) was elected treasurer and Commissioner Phil Peisch (6B03) was elected Parliamentarian. Congratulations to all. I’m extremely grateful to my commission colleagues for their support, and I’m looking forward to a productive 2014.
- The commission voted unanimously (10-0) to send a letter to the District Department of Transportation expressing the commission’s opposition to the agency’s design concepts for the Barney Circle-Southeast Boulevard Transportation Study. See my separate post with a summary of and link to the full letter.
- The commission also voted unanimously to support a use variance to allow the operation of a coffee shop/cafe in the first floor of 1247 E Street SE, an apartment building across from Watkins field. The building was originally designed for commercial use on the first floor but at some point was rezoned residential. It will be nice to have an additional coffee shop/cafe nearby!
- Cheryl Morse of the DC Office of the People’s Counsel provided a brief overview of OPC and highlighted a number of the office’s pending cases. OPC represents consumers of natural gas, electric and telephone service in DC. Visit the OPC website for additional information.
- On a 9-1 vote, the commission authorized the chair or a designee to testify at the upcoming Jan. 30 Zoning Regulations Review (ZRR) hearing for ANCs. Commissioner Dave Garrison (6B01) voted to oppose the motion on the grounds that ANC 6B has already testified on the ZRR. I agreed with the majority whom felt that it was important that ANC 6B reiterate its support for the zoning update and encourage the Zoning Commission to act expeditiously. Read ANC 6B’s ZRR position (pdf).
- The commission unanimously voted to support the 2014 Capitol Hill Classic 10K race taking place Sunday, May 18. The race, which benefits the Capitol Hill Cluster School, will run through a portion of ANC 6B. You can learn more and register on the Capitol Hill Classic website.
- ANC 6B’s February meeting will be on Tues., Feb. 11, 7 pm at the Hill Center.