Today is Election Day! Polls open at 7 am – 8 pm. Please VOTE – you can find your polling place on the DC Board of Elections website.
The following is the candidate statement I’ve been sharing with my constituents:
I’m running for reelection as your ANC commissioner to continue fighting to improve the quality of life of residents in Barney Circle and Hill East.
My second term has been a busy one. My single member district – ANC 6B09 – has seen a number of large construction projects. There are currently three residential projects underway or planned for the eastern end of Pennsylvania Ave. We’ve seen two great new businesses open along the 15th Street SE mixed-use corridor – The Pretzel Bakery and Curbside Café. And we are on the cusp of seeing the first phase of the Reservation 13/Hill East Development become a reality.
I’ve also been active on our behalf at the Wilson Building. Over the past two years, I’ve testified 8 times in front of the Council on issues such as Reservation 13, DC General and the future of RFK Stadium. I’ve also testified at Zoning Commission and Alcoholic Beverage Control Board hearings and been a strong advocate for projects that would connect our neighborhood to the Anacostia waterfront.
And I’ve been a leader on ANC 6B. For the past two years, I have had the privilege of serving as chair of the commission. During my tenure as chair, the commission has been extremely active weighing in on major citywide issues, from education to public safety to transportation. We have also improved our operations and procedures with the goal of making it easier for residents to understand and be engaged with ANC 6B.
While I’m proud of these accomplishments, there is much work left to be done. If I’m re-elected, I will:
- Push the Mayor and Council to continue making progress on mixed-use development plans for Reservation 13
- Urge city officials to find alternative housing for families living at the temporary emergency family shelter at DC General so that the facility can be closed and demolished
- Continue to oppose the reopening of the Southeast Freeway and advocate for a Barney Circle-Southeast Boulevard plan that doesn’t increase commuter traffic through Hill East
- Ensure that the neighborhood has a voice in the city’s Request for Proposals process for the Eastern Branch Building
- Push DDOT to expedite the long-stalled safety improvements to 17th and 19th Streets SE
- Increase neighborhood engagement with, and ANC support for, Payne, Watkins and our DC public schools
- Support efforts to bring more retail and restaurants to the eastern end of Pennsylvania Avenue SE
In addition, I plan to keep my constituents engaged and informed on ANC activities by posting frequent updates on my blog, holding periodic community meetings, distributing flyers with information on key meetings and events and organizing groups of residents to contact and/or visit with DC Councilmembers.
Thank you for your time, consideration, and hopefully, your support. It has been an absolute privilege to represent our neighborhood on ANC 6B. I ask for your vote on November 4.
Candidate, ANC 6B09