ANC 6B kicked off the new commission term on Tues., Jan. 13. Here is a recap of major commission actions:
- The commission welcomed seven new commissioners to their first meeting – Commissioners Jennifer Samolyk (6B01), Diane Hoskins (6B02), James Loots (6B03), Steve Hagedorn (6B05), Nick Burger (6B06), Daniel Chao (6B07) and Denise Krepp (6B10).
- After adopting the meeting agenda, the commission unanimously elected the following commissioners to officer positions:
- Chair: Kirsten Oldenburg (6B04)
- Vice Chair: Brian Flahaven (6B09)
- Secretary: Daniel Chao
- Treasurer: Diane Hoskins
- Parliamentarian: Denise Krepp
I’m looking forward to serving as vice chair of the commission this year and appreciate the support of my colleagues.
- I reminded meeting attendees of the Jan. 20 DC Department of General Services community meeting to review responses to the Eastern Branch Building Request for Proposals. The meeting will be from 6:30-8:30 pm at Payne Elementary School (1445 C Street SE).
- The commission voted 8-0-2 to support the floor area, lot occupancy and parking variance requests for the proposed 10-unit condo building at 1330-1336 Pennsylvania Avenue SE (La Lomita). I voted in support of the variance requests, particularly since the applicant made a major concession in agreeing to prohibit building residents from seeking Residential Parking Permits. A big thanks to Commissioner Nick Burger for helping bring the neighbors and applicant to the negotiating table.
- The commission voted unanimously to send comments to the District Department of Transportation on the updated alternatives for the Pennsylvania & Potomac Avenues SE Intersection Pedestrian Safety Study. While the commission’s letter does not indicate a preferred alternative, I personally like the Ellipse Park concept the best. DDOT plans to hold another public meeting on this project sometime this winter.
- The commission discussed the Ugly Mug’s (723 8th Street SE) plans to seek a public space permit to build an indoor structure to house trash in the alley behind the establishment. If the DDOT Public Space Committee approves the permit, this case could be used as a model for restaurant indoor trash storage along commercial corridors. Since the case was moved to the DDOT Public Space Committee’s February agenda, ANC 6B did not vote on the application and will hear the case again next month.
- ANC 6B voted unanimously to select Commissioners Diane Hoskins and Steve Hagedorn to serve as the commission’s representative and alternate, respectively, on the Eastern Market Community Advisory Committee.
- The commission unanimously approved new standing rules and the 2015 meeting schedule.
- ANC 6B’s February meeting will be on Tues., Feb. 10, 7 pm at the Hill Center.