We had another relatively short agenda and meeting this month. Here is a recap of major actions:
- The commission unanimously approved sending a letter (pdf) to the District Department of Transportation asking the agency how they determine whether an intersection warrants additional safety or traffic calming measures. The letter included a brief discussion of the problems with the 18th Street SE and Potomac Ave SE intersection.
- The commission voted unanimously to support a new liquor license application (pdf) for the Neighborhood Restaurant Group. NRG plans to open a new restaurant at 415 8th Street SE. Kudos to Commissioners Chander Jayaraman (6B08) and James Loots (6B03) for working with the applicant and neighbors to address potential trash and odor issues in a settlement agreement. The restaurant name is still to be determined.
- ANC 6B voted 7-0-2 to support rear additions to 1010-1012 Pennsylvania Ave SE (pdf), with a majority of commissioners finding the additions to be in keeping with the Capitol Hill Historic District. 1012 Pennsylvania Ave SE will include commercial space in the first floor.
- Jill McClanahan of DC Water provided an update on water main replacements throughout the commission area. The water main replacement on 17th Street is underway and should begin soon around 17th & C Streets SE. The replacement work will gradually proceed south to Potomac Ave SE. Once the water main replacement project is complete, DDOT will begin implementing the long-delayed 17th Street safety improvements.
- ANC 6B will not hold a full meeting in August. The next full commission meeting will be on Tues., Sept. 8, 7 pm at the Hill Center.