Councilmember Michael Brown, co-chair of the Subcommittee on Redistricting, just released the subcommittee’s proposed new ward boundaries. You can view the maps and report at:
All of the area east of 17th Street NE and SE between Benning Road and Barney Circle is in Ward 7 under the plan…with the exception of the blocks that include Eastern High School and Eliot-Hine Middle School. Reservation 13, Congressional Cemetery, Rosedale all move to Ward 7. Apparently, we are supposed to be grateful for this “compromise.” I find it totally unacceptable, and I believe Capitol Hill and the rest of Ward 6 will find it unacceptable as well.
Now that we know where Councilmembers Michael Brown, Phil Mendelson and Jack Evans stand, we need to continue to fight for our neighborhood. If you can, join us at tomorrow’s (Thurs., May 26) Subcommittee on Redistricting hearing when they will vote on the proposed plan. The hearing will be at 1:00 pm in Room 123 of the Wilson Building (1350 Pennsylvania Avenue NW). Also, continue to call the redistricting subcommittee members.
- Michael Brown (I-At-Large), Co-Chair; Phone: 202-724-8105; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jack Evans (D-Ward 2), Co-Chair; Phone: 202-724-8058; Email: email@example.com
- Phil Mendelson (D-At-Large); Phone: 202-724-8064; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, make sure you contact the three other At-Large Councilmembers and urge them to oppose this plan:
- Chairman Kwame Brown (D); Phone: 202-724-8032; Email: email@example.com
- Councilmember David Catania (I-At-Large); Phone: 202-724-7772; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilmember Vincent Orange (D-At-Large); Phone: 202-724-8174; Email: email@example.com
Finally, contact Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander (D) and let her know that she will be receiving thousands of unhappy new constituents if she supports this plan:
- Councilmember Yvette Alexander (D-Ward 7); Phone: 202-724-8068; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for all of your efforts – the phone calls, e-mails, meetings, etc. Let’s keep fighting for our neighborhood!