- Unfortunately, the spike in burglaries and assaults across Capitol Hill continues, including a couple of recent assaults in Hill East. During the August 28 community public safety meeting, the Metropolitan Police Department urged residents to call 911 – not 311 – when reporting suspicious individuals/activities. MPD also encouraged residents to join the MPD First District listserv and to attend monthly Police Service Area (PSA) meetings. The next PSA 108 meeting is on Thursday, Sept. 20, 7 pm at Liberty Baptist Church (527 Kentucky Ave. SE). Stay alert and stay safe!
- ANC 6B’s September meeting is next Tues., Sept. 11, 7 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE). The agenda is posted on the ANC 6B website. Included in a long list of agenda items is a presentation from Lisa Sutter about MPD’s speed camera plans and consideration of a resolution supporting the closure of the 300 block of 7th Street SE for use by the weekend flea markets during Hine construction. The full agenda is posted on the ANC 6B website. In addition, ANC 6B will hold a special call meeting on Mon., Sept. 17, 7 pm at Brent Elementary School (301 North Carolina Avenue SE) to consider proposed revised bylaws and proposed standing rules.
- The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) has posted updated lists of vacant buildings in DC and information on how you can notify the agency if your home has been incorrectly classified as vacant. If you don’t see a building that you assume is vacant on these lists, send an an e-mail to email@example.com.
- DCRA has also finally responded to May 16 ANC 6B letter (pdf) asking why the agency was incorrectly classifying Reservation 13 as “unzoned” for purposes of building/construction permit applications. In an August 31 letter (pdf), DCRA Director Nicholas Majett said that DCRA’s computer systems have now been updated to correctly reflect the “Hill East District” zoning on the site. Director Majett also said that an agency review of all permits issued for the site since August 2009 found that all work permitted was allowed under the Hill East District regulations.
- While the closing of Crepes on the Corner is certainly disappointing, I am excited that the Pretzel Bakery (340 15th Street SE) has announced an expanded menu and hours. Since the bakery now opens at 8 am, customers can pick up coffee and a pretzel on their way to work. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to check it out.
- Finally, THANK YOU to everyone who signed and/or volunteered to sign my petition to run for re-election for ANC 6B09. Thanks to your help, my name will be on the November 6 ballot. While I do not have an opponent, I plan to campaign hard this fall to earn the support of 6B09 residents.