- On Tues., Oct. 27, Ward 6 Councilmember Charles Allen will host a Community Public Safety Meeting at 7 pm at Friendship Chamberlain Public Charter School (1345 Potomac Avenue SE – across from Harris Teeter). Councilmember Allen has invited Chief Cathy Lanier and First District Commander Jeff Brown to discuss how MPD is addressing the recent increase in violent crime on Capitol Hill.
- On Wed., Oct. 28, ANC 6B’s Hill East Task Force will discuss the future of the RFK Stadium site from 7-8:30 pm at St. Coletta of Greater Washington (1901 Independence Ave SE). Ed Lazere, executive director of the DC Fiscal Policy Institute, will present data on stadiums and cities. The task force will also discuss the recent community meetings on the Events DC RFK Study.
The Metropolitan Police Department has cancelled tonight’s (Aug. 6) PSA 108 meeting at Liberty Baptist Church. Lt. Dykes and his team will be at the Tues., Aug. 11 Hill East Public Safety Walk and can answer any questions at that time. The walk will begin at 5:30 pm at Eastern High School and end around 7:30 pm at the Potomac Avenue Metro plaza.
Given the recent uptick in crime in Hill East, MPD Lieutenant James Dykes has moved the August PSA 108 meeting to Thursday, Aug. 6, 7 pm at Liberty Baptist Church (527 Kentucky Avenue SE). I encourage anyone who has questions or concerns about recent criminal activity and incidents in the neighborhood to attend the meeting. Lt. Dykes and his officers will provide the latest information and answer resident questions.
Metropolitan Police District First District Commander Jeff Brown will provide an update on recent criminal activity in Hill East at a community meeting on Monday, June 1, 7 pm at St. Coletta of Greater Washington (1901 Independence Ave SE). If you have questions or concerns to share with MPD or just want to hear how MPD is addressing the recent uptick in crime, please attend this important meeting.
- This week, there have been two horrific violent crimes on Capitol Hill. On Monday, Dec. 24, a 28-year old man was fatally shot at 2 am at 12th and C Street NE. And just yesterday, another man was shot near the intersection of 14th Street SE and K Street SE at 3:30 pm in Hill East (he is in critical condition). MPD is working hard to solve these cases. If you have any information on either incident, please contact MPD at (202) 727-9099. In the meantime, stay alert and report any suspicious activity to 911. Read the December 2012 PSA 108 newsletter (pdf).
- Last week, Chairman Phil Mendelson announced committee chair assignments for the upcoming DC Council term. Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells was named chair of the Public Safety and Judiciary Committee, the committee with jurisdiction over MPD, Fire/EMS, Homeland Security and Emergency Management and Corrections. In a statement, Councilmember Wells said that he was excited about the challenge of chairing the committee, and noted that the committee would likely review potential plans to relocate the DC Jail. Michael Neibauer of the Washington Business Journal has posted the full list of committee chair assignments.
- The Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development’s office has announced a deadline extension for responses to the Hill East Development/Reservation 13 RFEI. Responses to the RFEI for Parcels F1 & G1 are now due by noon on Thursday, January 17 (the original deadline was January 7). You can read more about the RFEI in my Nov. 26 Hill East Task Force meeting recap.
- Lock7 Development has posted renderings of their new condo building at 321 18th Street SE. It looks like it will be a great addition to the neighborhood. The project should be completed in spring 2013.
- Weather permitting, I plan to distribute my annual contact cards this weekend around 6B09. In addition to my contact information, the cards include important city phone numbers and ANC 6B’s 2013 meeting schedule. Please look for the cards on your front porch.
Have a Safe and Happy New Year!