New parenthood kept me away from ANC 6B’s July 9th meeting at the Hill Center. However, thanks to Commissioner Phil Peisch (6B03), who serves as ANC 6B’s secretary, I do have notes of the commission’s major actions. I also want to thank Commissioner Ivan Frishberg (6B02) for presiding over the meeting in my absence. Here are the highlights:
- John Weintraub, owner of Frager’s Hardware, provided an update on the status of store and employees in the aftermath of the June 5th fire. According to Commissioner Brian Pate (6B05), who live tweeted the update, Weintraub noted that $160,000 has already been raised to benefit Frager’s, with about half going directly to employees. Frager’s pop-up at Eastern Market is selling plants and making keys while the rental store has moved temporarily to 1323 E Street SE. Weintraub estimates rebuilding Frager’s will take 1.5-3 years. You can contribute to the rebuilding efforts at the Friends of Frager’s website.
- The commission voted to support emergency legislation (pdf) extending the deadline for the disposition of the Hine school site. Prior to the vote, the commission heard from the attorney representing residents who have filed a lawsuit against the Zoning Commission, representatives from the developer Stanton-Eastbanc and a representative from the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development’s Office. You can read a recap of the discussion on the Capitol Hill Corner blog. The DC Council did pass the legislation with a six month extension during its July 10 legislative session.
- The commission voted to send four letters to the District Department of Transportation. The first letter (pdf) officially confirms that ANC 6B has decided to “opt in” to DDOTs new citywide Visitor Parking Pass system. The second letter (pdf) requests that DDOT extend the comment period on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the CSX-Virginia Avenue Tunnel project. The third letter (pdf) also requests additional time from DDOT to comment on new proposed regulations for commercial loading zones. And the fourth letter (currently being drafted) reaffirms ANC 6B’s request that DDOT use $100,000 from Performance Based Parking funds to upgrade landscaping on the Eastern Market Metro Plaza.
- With a August 2nd deadline looming to provide comments, the commission voted to hold a special call meeting on Wed., July 17 to discuss proposed regulations for demolition by neglect in historic districts. The meeting will begin at 8 pm, immediately following ANC 6B’s Outreach & Constituent Services Task Force meeting at the Hill Center. The commission will also discuss and approve its quarterly financial report on July 17.
- The commission voted unanimously to authorize the chair to approve amendments to Settlement Agreements (SAs) requested by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. The ABC Board has requested modifications to SAs between ANC 6B and 30 restaurants located in the commission area. The amendments are administrative in nature.
- The commission voted unanimously to support proposed design and facade changes to Banana Cafe at 500 8th Street SE. Since the restaurant is located in the Capitol Hill Historic District, the design must be approved by the Historic Preservation Review Board.
- ANC 6B does not meet in August. The next commission meeting will be on Tues., Sept. 10, 7 pm at the Hill Center.