Here is a recap of major actions from ANC 6B’s March 10 meeting:
- The commission voted unanimously to urge the Department of General Services to re-issue its Request for Proposals for the Eastern Branch Building. In a letter (pdf) to DGS, the commission urges notes that both responses to the initial RFP were flawed and asks the agency to extend the allowable lease terms. The letter also includes specific comments on both the Century Associates and Dantes Partners/Menkiti Group proposals. It is unclear whether DGS will agree to re-issue the RFP or proceed with one of the proposals.
- I was really pleased that the commission voted 10-0 to send a letter to Mayor Bowser urging her to support and fund the Capitol Riverside Youth Sports Park proposal. The proposal would convert a portion of the wasteful north parking lots at RFK Stadium into athletic fields and outdoor recreation space serving city residents. The CRYSP proposal exemplifies the kind of creative thinking the city needs when considering the future of the RFK Stadium site.
- The commission voted 6-1-3 to withdraw its protest of the Ugly Mug Dining Saloon’s request for a substantial change to allow expansion of its second floor capacity. ANC 6B and the applicant agreed on a settlement agreement that limits the hours that a new retractable roof can be open and prohibits the roof from being opened during live entertainment events. A big thanks to Commissioner Jim Loots (6B03), the nearby neighbors and the applicant for all the time and effort they put into reaching this agreement.
- Brynn Barnett, a 6B10 resident, was unanimously elected chair of the ANC 6B Hill East Task Force. The vote marked the first time that ANC 6B has elected a non-commissioner to chair one of its task forces. A big thanks to Brynn for volunteering to serve in this important role.
- The commission also approved resident members for both the Hill East and Outreach & Constituent Service Task Forces. I particularly want to thank Julianne Bythrow, Katie Donahue, Nike Opadiran, Ross Parman and Pat Taylor for agreeing to represent 6B09 on the Hill East Task Force.
- On a 9-0-1 vote, the commission authorized testimony (pdf) at the March 11 WMATA performance oversight hearing. The testimony was delivered by Commissioner Denise Krepp (6B10) in front of the Committee on Finance and Revenue.
- Commissioners and attendees heard a presentation from Rashee Kumar with the Neighborhood and Victim Services unit of the DC Office of the Attorney General about how the office can help with vacant and nuisance properties.
- Note that ANC 6B’s April meeting, originally scheduled for April 14, has been moved to Monday, April 20 due to DCPS spring break. As always, the meeting will take place at 7 pm at the Hill Center.