- Tuesday, Nov. 6 is Election Day. Polls open at 7 am and close at 8 pm. You can find your polling place by visiting the DC Board of Elections website. Residents who live in 6B09: If you live south of D Street SE and west of 17th Street SE, you vote at Watkins Elementary School (Precinct 91). If you live north of D Street SE and/or east of 17th Street SE, you vote at Payne Elementary School (Precinct 87).
- In the race for At-Large Councilmember, I’m supporting independent David Grosso. I’ve been impressed by David’s commitment to clean up the DC Council and make ethics and education a priority. I’m confident that David will listen to and support the residents of our neighborhood, unlike our current non-majority At-Large Councilmember Michael Brown. David has been endorsed by Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells, former Ward 6 Councilmember Sharon Ambrose and the Washington Post.
- While I’m fortunate to not have an opponent in my ANC race, my three ANC 6B freshman colleagues face challengers. In a previous post, I explained why I support Jared Critchfield, Ivan Frishberg and Brian Pate for reelection. I hope all three come out on top Tuesday night.
- DDOT’s 17th and 19th Street Safety Improvement Project Recommendations will be on ANC 6B’s November 13 meeting agenda. While the meeting will begin at 7 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE), DDOT will not present until the 8:00 pm hour. Read my post on the recommendations.
- The Department of Public Works has announced its leaf collection schedule. DPW will pick up leaves in Hill East between November 19 and December 1 and between December 17 and December 29. Make sure to rake leaves into the treebox the weekends prior to collection periods. Holiday trees will be collected between Dec. 31 and Jan. 12, 2013.
I’m running for reelection as ANC Commissioner for 6B09 because I want to improve the quality of life of residents in Hill East and Capitol Hill.
It is easy for ANC commissioners to get caught up in the little things – minor planning and zoning cases, liquor license requests and public space permits. During my first term representing ANC 6B09, I’ve focused on the big issues affecting our neighborhood such as keeping Hill East united in one ward during redistricting, urging Mayor Gray to implement the mixed-use development master plan at the Hill East Waterfront/Reservation 13 and encouraging the District Department of Transportation to improve safety along the 17th Street SE “speedway” and 19th Street SE corridor.
If I’m re-elected, I will:
- Push the city to keep its promise and pursue mixed-use development at the Hill East Waterfront (Reservation 13)
- Encourage DDOT to implement recommendations from the 17th & 19th Streets Safety Improvement Project in a timely fashion
- Strengthen the partnership between residents and MPD to improve public safety
- Increase neighborhood engagement with, and ANC support for, our DC Public Schools
- Work with the city to find a future use for the Eastern Branch Building that is supported by the neighborhood
- Support efforts to bring more retail and residential development to the eastern end of Pennsylvania Avenue SE
In addition, I plan to keep constituents engaged and informed on ANC activities by posting frequent updates on my blog, http://www.flahaven6b.com, holding periodic community meetings, distributing flyers with information on key meetings and events, and organizing groups of residents to contact and/or visit with DC Councilmembers.
Our neighborhood has a wonderful history of successful community activism. I’ve done my best to continue this tradition through my work on ANC 6B. It has been an absolute privilege to represent you on the commission.
You can learn more about me and the issues I care about on my blog. If you have questions or want to be added to my e-mail list, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Thank you for your time and consideration, and I ask for your support and your vote on November 6.