- This week, there have been two horrific violent crimes on Capitol Hill. On Monday, Dec. 24, a 28-year old man was fatally shot at 2 am at 12th and C Street NE. And just yesterday, another man was shot near the intersection of 14th Street SE and K Street SE at 3:30 pm in Hill East (he is in critical condition). MPD is working hard to solve these cases. If you have any information on either incident, please contact MPD at (202) 727-9099. In the meantime, stay alert and report any suspicious activity to 911. Read the December 2012 PSA 108 newsletter (pdf).
- Last week, Chairman Phil Mendelson announced committee chair assignments for the upcoming DC Council term. Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells was named chair of the Public Safety and Judiciary Committee, the committee with jurisdiction over MPD, Fire/EMS, Homeland Security and Emergency Management and Corrections. In a statement, Councilmember Wells said that he was excited about the challenge of chairing the committee, and noted that the committee would likely review potential plans to relocate the DC Jail. Michael Neibauer of the Washington Business Journal has posted the full list of committee chair assignments.
- The Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development’s office has announced a deadline extension for responses to the Hill East Development/Reservation 13 RFEI. Responses to the RFEI for Parcels F1 & G1 are now due by noon on Thursday, January 17 (the original deadline was January 7). You can read more about the RFEI in my Nov. 26 Hill East Task Force meeting recap.
- Lock7 Development has posted renderings of their new condo building at 321 18th Street SE. It looks like it will be a great addition to the neighborhood. The project should be completed in spring 2013.
- Weather permitting, I plan to distribute my annual contact cards this weekend around 6B09. In addition to my contact information, the cards include important city phone numbers and ANC 6B’s 2013 meeting schedule. Please look for the cards on your front porch.
Have a Safe and Happy New Year!