September 9, 2015
ANC 6B’s Outreach & Constituent Services Task Force meeting on Thurs., Sept. 10 will feature Christina Henderson, director of the DC Council’s Committee on Education and deputy chief of staff for Councilmember David Grosso (I-At-Large). Ms. Henderson will discuss the committee’s upcoming agenda and answer task force and attendee questions.
In addition to the Q&A with Ms. Henderson, the task force will discuss ways to improve ANC 6B’s website (www.anc6b.org). The meeting will take place from 7-8:30 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Ave SE).
August 9, 2015
On Tues., Aug. 11, the Mayor’s Office of Community Relations, the Metropolitan Police Department, local ANC commissioners and Hill East residents will be holding a safety walk through the neighborhood. The walk will begin at 5:30 pm at Eastern High School (1700 East Capitol Street SE) and proceed south through Hill East, ending around 7 pm at Liberty Baptist Church (527 Kentucky Ave SE). In addition to the Mayor’s Office and MPD, representatives from the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Public Safety, Department of Human Services and Department of Behavioral Health will be in attendance.
I’ll post a final walk route if it is made available prior to the event. I’ll also attempt to live tweet the walk so residents can join in progress.
Immediately following the walk, MPD will host a rescheduled PSA 108 meeting at 7 pm at Liberty Baptist Church (a makeup for the cancelled meeting on Aug. 6). Please bring any questions or concerns you have to the walk and/or meeting.
Hope to see you on Tuesday!
August 6, 2015
The Metropolitan Police Department has cancelled tonight’s (Aug. 6) PSA 108 meeting at Liberty Baptist Church. Lt. Dykes and his team will be at the Tues., Aug. 11 Hill East Public Safety Walk and can answer any questions at that time. The walk will begin at 5:30 pm at Eastern High School and end around 7:30 pm at the Potomac Avenue Metro plaza.
August 2, 2015
We had another relatively short agenda and meeting this month. Here is a recap of major actions:
- The commission unanimously approved sending a letter (pdf) to the District Department of Transportation asking the agency how they determine whether an intersection warrants additional safety or traffic calming measures. The letter included a brief discussion of the problems with the 18th Street SE and Potomac Ave SE intersection.
- The commission voted unanimously to support a new liquor license application (pdf) for the Neighborhood Restaurant Group. NRG plans to open a new restaurant at 415 8th Street SE. Kudos to Commissioners Chander Jayaraman (6B08) and James Loots (6B03) for working with the applicant and neighbors to address potential trash and odor issues in a settlement agreement. The restaurant name is still to be determined.
- ANC 6B voted 7-0-2 to support rear additions to 1010-1012 Pennsylvania Ave SE (pdf), with a majority of commissioners finding the additions to be in keeping with the Capitol Hill Historic District. 1012 Pennsylvania Ave SE will include commercial space in the first floor.
- Jill McClanahan of DC Water provided an update on water main replacements throughout the commission area. The water main replacement on 17th Street is underway and should begin soon around 17th & C Streets SE. The replacement work will gradually proceed south to Potomac Ave SE. Once the water main replacement project is complete, DDOT will begin implementing the long-delayed 17th Street safety improvements.
- ANC 6B will not hold a full meeting in August. The next full commission meeting will be on Tues., Sept. 8, 7 pm at the Hill Center.
July 24, 2015
Given the recent uptick in crime in Hill East, MPD Lieutenant James Dykes has moved the August PSA 108 meeting to Thursday, Aug. 6, 7 pm at Liberty Baptist Church (527 Kentucky Avenue SE). I encourage anyone who has questions or concerns about recent criminal activity and incidents in the neighborhood to attend the meeting. Lt. Dykes and his officers will provide the latest information and answer resident questions.