January 4, 2016
There are two important meetings scheduled for this Wed., Jan. 6.
The District Department of Transportation will discuss the results of their Barney Circle-Southeast Boulevard Feasibility Study at ANC 6B’s Transportation Committee meeting, 7 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Ave SE).
And, at the same time (7 pm), Commissioner Denise Krepp (6B10) has scheduled a community meeting to discuss the new 7-Eleven convenience store that will is opening at the corner of Massachusetts Ave SE and 15th Street SE (in space formerly occupied by S&J Liquors and 15th Street Cleaners). Representatives from 7-Eleven will be on hand to discuss their plans and address concerns raised by residents.
Leave a Comment » | 15th Street SE, Barney Circle, Development, Transportation | Permalink
Posted by bflahaven
September 26, 2014
- The Barracks Row Fall Festival is tomorrow (Sat., Sept. 27) from 11 am – 4 pm on 8th Street SE. Always a good time with great food and activities. I’ll be at the ANC 6B booth from 1-3 pm near District Doughnut. Be sure to stop by and say hello!
- The Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development’s Office has announced an Oct. 29 surplus meeting for parcels F1 & G1 at Reservation 13/Hill East Development. I’ve posted some additional information about the meeting.
- On Thurs., Oct. 2, I’ll be holding a meeting on the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue SE project at 7:30 pm at New York Pizza (1401 Pennsylvania Ave SE). Greg Selfridge of NOVO development will be on hand to provide updates on the construction and answer questions.
- Beginning Monday, Sept. 29, the District Department of Transportation will be conducting a roadway improvement project on the 1400 block of Potomac Ave SE. The project, which is expected to last 3 weeks, will include a much-needed resurfacing of the roadway and repairs to sidewalks, curbs and gutters and wheel chair ramps. Note that traffic will likely be reduced to one lane on this block during construction hours.
- The Department of General Services has scheduled a second building tour for development teams interested in responding to the Eastern Branch Building RFP. The tour will be on Tues., Sept. 30. from 9:30 am – 4:00 pm I’m working with DGS to schedule a separate community tour date and time.
- If you haven’t already done so, I encourage you to register for the Dead Man’s Run 5K on Saturday, Oct. 4, 6:00 pm at Historic Congressional Cemetery.
Leave a Comment » | 15th Street SE, Congressional Cemetery, Development, Eastern Branch Building, Reservation 13/Hill East Waterfront, Transportation, Uncategorized | Permalink
Posted by bflahaven
May 13, 2014
ANC 6B will be discussing and voting on a number of Hill East cases during tonight’s full commission meeting, 7 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE). Here is a brief rundown:
- Sidewalk Cafe Application for Curbside Cafe – The owners of Curbside Cafe (257 15th Street SE) are seeking a public space permit to allow outdoor seating at their location. I fully support this application ANC 6B’s Planning & Zoning Committee unanimously recommended approval of the application and it will be on the commission’s consent agenda.
- Fast Food Special Exception for 1400 Penn Ave SE – The owners of New York Pizza (1401 Pennsylvania Ave SE) are seeking to expand their operation across the street to the vacant commercial space at 1400 Pennsylvania Ave SE. To do so, they need to ask the Board of Zoning Adjustment for a fast food special exception. Assuming the owners can address the trash, delivery and other concerns of nearby neighbors, I’m still puzzled why NY Pizza would seek to operate the same restaurant on both sides of Penn Ave. I hope to get some answers tonight. This case will likely be considered in the 7:45-8:15 pm time frame.
- Relocation of Women’s Shelter at DC General/Reservation 13 – Due to environmental and safety concerns, the city needs to relocate the Harriet Tubman Women’s Shelter from Building 9 to Building 27 on the DC General campus. To allow this to happen, the Office of Planning is asking the Zoning Commission to approve a text amendment (pdf) to the Hill East District zoning (the zoning code that exists for Reservation 13). I’m going to encourage my colleagues to oppose the text amendment and instead urge the Zoning Commission to approve a time-limited special exception to allow the move. I’d also like to see demolition of Building 9 clearly stated in the final order. This case will likely be considered in the 8:45-9:00 pm time frame.
- Comments on Planned Eastern Branch Building RFO – The commission will consider final comments to the DC Department of General Services on the planned Request for Offers for the Eastern Branch Building (261 17th Street SE). The comments reflect the community feedback ANC 6B’s Hill East Task Force heard during our two April community meetings. This case will likely be considered in the 9:00 pm hour.
Updated 5/13/14 1:00 pm – The applicant for the fast food exception for 1400 Pennsylvania Avenue SE has withdrawn the case from tonight’s agenda. This may move up commission consideration of the DC General and Eastern Branch letters.
Leave a Comment » | 15th Street SE, ANC 6B, Development, Eastern Branch Building, Penn East, Reservation 13/Hill East Waterfront | Permalink
Posted by bflahaven
February 6, 2014
Rendering of 41-unit condo building planned for 1500 Penn Ave SE. Produced by Bonstra Haresign Architects.
During the Feb. 4 ANC 6B Planning and Zoning Committee meeting, Eric May of the Goldstar Group shared updated renderings of their proposed 41-unit condo building at 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. The drawings include the layout of the underground parking garage, a garage which will include 21 spaces. Goldstar is seeking a variance on parking space size requirements, seeking to count 8 compact spaces towards the 21 space minimum requirement.
May also asked the committee to weigh in on an additional variance request related to the height of the penthouse. The variance will allow the rooftop penthouse to have varying height instead of uniform height.
The committee voted unanimously to recommend that the full commission support both variance requests and the raze permit for the project. ANC 6B will vote on the committee recommendation during the commission’s Tues., Feb. 10 meeting, 7 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Ave SE). Meeting attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions/provide comments on the requests. If you can’t attend the meeting, please share your comments with me directly or post below.
1 Comment | 15th Street SE, Barney Circle, Development, Penn East | Permalink
Posted by bflahaven
January 31, 2014
In February, ANC 6B will be considering Goldstar Group’s request for a variance from the parking space size requirements for their proposed 41-unit residential building at 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue SE (old Domino’s Pizza site).
Goldstar plans to provide the required parking minimum for the building (21 spaces) but needs to include 8 compact spaces in its count. Under the current DC zoning code, compact spaces can only be counted towards the minimum requirements in garages with more than 25 parking spaces. The Board of Zoning Adjustment will consider Goldstar’s variance request at a hearing on Feb. 25.
ANC 6B’s Planning & Zoning Committee will consider the variance request, along with the raze permit for the current building, at its Tuesday, Feb. 4 meeting, 7 pm at St. Coletta of Greater Washington (1901 Independence Ave SE). During the committee meeting, Goldstar Group will provide a brief presentation of their plans and explain why they need the parking space size variance. Attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions and weigh in with the committee. Note that 1500 Penn Ave SE is the first case on the committee’s agenda.
Attendees will also have an opportunity to weigh in on the case during ANC 6B’s February 11 meeting, 7 pm at the Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE). The commission will consider the planning & zoning committee’s recommendation and take a formal vote in support or opposition of the request on Feb. 11.
I encourage all interested neighbors and residents to attend the meetings and/or contact me with their concerns. For those who wish to chat with me in person, I’ll be at Curbside Cafe (257 15th Street SE) tomorrow, Sat., Feb. 1 from 11 am – 12 pm.
Leave a Comment » | 15th Street SE, ANC 6B, Barney Circle, Development, Penn East, Potomac Avenue Metro | Permalink
Posted by bflahaven