I’m running for reelection as ANC Commissioner for 6B09 because I want to improve the quality of life of residents in Hill East and Capitol Hill.
It is easy for ANC commissioners to get caught up in the little things – minor planning and zoning cases, liquor license requests and public space permits. During my first term representing ANC 6B09, I’ve focused on the big issues affecting our neighborhood such as keeping Hill East united in one ward during redistricting, urging Mayor Gray to implement the mixed-use development master plan at the Hill East Waterfront/Reservation 13 and encouraging the District Department of Transportation to improve safety along the 17th Street SE “speedway” and 19th Street SE corridor.
If I’m re-elected, I will:
- Push the city to keep its promise and pursue mixed-use development at the Hill East Waterfront (Reservation 13)
- Encourage DDOT to implement recommendations from the 17th & 19th Streets Safety Improvement Project in a timely fashion
- Strengthen the partnership between residents and MPD to improve public safety
- Increase neighborhood engagement with, and ANC support for, our DC Public Schools
- Work with the city to find a future use for the Eastern Branch Building that is supported by the neighborhood
- Support efforts to bring more retail and residential development to the eastern end of Pennsylvania Avenue SE
In addition, I plan to keep constituents engaged and informed on ANC activities by posting frequent updates on my blog, http://www.flahaven6b.com, holding periodic community meetings, distributing flyers with information on key meetings and events, and organizing groups of residents to contact and/or visit with DC Councilmembers.
Our neighborhood has a wonderful history of successful community activism. I’ve done my best to continue this tradition through my work on ANC 6B. It has been an absolute privilege to represent you on the commission.
You can learn more about me and the issues I care about on my blog. If you have questions or want to be added to my e-mail list, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your time and consideration, and I ask for your support and your vote on November 6.